Instructors create PeerMark Assignments to allow students to read, review, and evaluate papers submitted by their classmates.
In order to create a PeerMark Assignment, the instructor must first create a Paper Assignment to which students will submit their papers. The instructor can then create a PeerMark Assignment which is based on the Paper Assignment.
Creating a PeerMark Assignment is a process that consists of 3 steps: Assignment Creation, Distribution Options, and Adding Questions:
Step 1: Assignment Creation
Step 2: Distribution of Papers
- Click on the class name to enter the class (if you're using an Learning Management System such as Blackboard or Moodle, you won't need to do this).
- Click on the "New Assignment" button located on the right-hand side of the screen.
- Choose the assignment type "PeerMark Assignment" and click the "Next Step" button.
- From the drop-down menu, choose a paper assignment to base this PeerMark assignment on. The base paper assignment is the assignment to which students submit their papers and is used as the pool of papers to be used for the PeerMark assignment.
- Enter an optional point value and, if you want, place a check mark in the box next to "Award full points if review is written."
- Click on "show more options", review those options, and choose any that apply. You can receive a deeper explanation of what these options do by clicking on the "Learn More" link on the right-hand side.
- The "Assignment Dates" section will be pre-filled. You can change these dates by clicking on the Calendar icon.
- Click "Show More Options" to review advanced options and choose any that apply. You can receive a deeper explanation of what these options do by clicking on the "Learn More" link on the right-hand side.
- Click the "Save & Continue" button to proceed to the next step in PeerMark assignment creation: The Distribution Options.
Step 3: Questions
- Click on the "Edit" link to select the number of papers that students will review. To learn more, please click the link "Learn more about how papers are distributed." Use the "Save" button to save any changes.
- Click "Show more distribution options" to fine tune the distribution of papers (this is where you can pair certain students or exclude students).
- Click the "Save & Continue" button to proceed to the next step in PeerMark assignment creation: Adding Questions
For a deeper understanding of the PeerMark Assignment type, it is recommended that instructors read Chapter 3 of the Instructor User Manual. This chapter is entitled "PeerMark" and contains detailed information on creating PeerMark assignments as well as reading and writing reviews.
- Click the "Add Question" button to begin adding questions to your PeerMark assignment.
- Choose a Free Response question type, a Scale question type, or an existing question from the PeerMark Question Library.
- Enter the appropriate question and click the "Add Question" button to the assignment.
- You can reorder the questions by clicking the "Reorder Questions" link on the right.
- You can save newly created questions to the PeerMark Question Library by clicking "Save to Library."
- Once you've added all questions please click the "Save & Finish" button.
- Your PeerMark assignment will appear under the paper assignment it was based on.